Prints, Slides ................................................. 9:30 pm October 10, 2012 (at the meeting)
Digital Images by email ................................ Midnight, October 18, 2012 (no exceptions)
· Judging will take place on November 4th, 2012 (closed event).
· All rules as to size and presentation are the same as for evaluations.
· Members may enter up to 15 of their images previously submitted for monthly evaluations for End of Year judging. Those images may be entered in any category listed below, but an image must be submitted in the same medium used for its evaluation. Images submitted in the “assigned subject” category, must have been submitted as an assigned subject image at the evaluation.
· It is permissible to incorporate minor adjustments suggested by an evaluator into the final image submitted for competition. The revised image must originate from the same source file.
· Members will determine the category for each of their entries.
· A First Place and a Second Place winner will be chosen in each category.
· Judges may choose a Third Place winner, but it is not required.
· Honorable mentions may be awarded at the judges' discretion for up to 10% of the total number of images submitted in each category.
· Winners will be selected in each category for each Group.
· Winners will be announced at the annual Awards Banquet and published in the Southern Exposure
The division of Groups allows participants to compete and be judged with others of similar skill levels. It is highly possible that a member of Group B might produce a photograph as good as or even better than a Group A member. Despite this, it can be somewhat daunting to compete against more experienced members when you are first learning the craft. Groups have identical Categories & Media.
Group A (Seasoned Exhibitor)
Any paid member may enter images in the Group A competition; however, if you have won any Camera Club of Richmond Memorial Award or have received more than 3 award certificates, you are required to compete in this Group. Once you have competed in Group A, you must remain in this Group for all future competitions, unless otherwise decided by the board of directors.
Group B (Novice Exhibitor)
Any paid member who has not won a Camera Club of Richmond Memorial Award or has received 3 or fewer award certificates may enter images in the Group B competition. Once a member is awarded any Camera Club of Richmond Memorial Award or has received more than 3 award certificates, he or she must participate in future competitions as a member of Group A.
COLOR OR BLACK AND WHITE
Images submitted in any of the Categories must be identified by the submitting member as either Color or Black and White. Black and White also includes monochrome images (which contain black, white and only one other color). With regard to color or black and white, images must be submitted as previously submitted for evaluation.
The title of an image should be the same title given when the image was submitted for evaluation. This allows for the digital director to verify that each image submitted has been previously submitted for an evaluation. Keep in mind that at the End of Year judging, the judges are never aware of the title or the photographer of any image--the identifying information you provide is used solely by the Club in preparation for the judging.
CATEGORY NAMES (ABBREVIATIONS) and DESCRIPTIONS
Scenic (S) Landscape and Architecture
Nature (N) Fauna and Flora, including wildlife but not domestic animals. It is strongly suggested that no manmade objects appear in images of this category.
Portraits (PO) Posed people or pets.
Pictorial (PI) Images of varied subjects including candid people, photojournalism, architecture, and any image that does not meet the criteria of another category.
Images in these four categories may be enhanced, but these manipulations must be kept to a minimum and used only to enhance the existing image and ensure realism, such as with:
· Tonal Changes
· Cloning (for minor retouching such as removal of telephone wire or trash)
· Any other adjustments to exposure, contrast, sharpness, acceptable cropping, altering between horizontal and vertical, enhancement (but not changing) of overall color.
Quick Check: Does the image look normal? If so, then it meets the criteria of “realism" where enhancements and modifications are allowed to improve the presentation, but without changing the taken truth of the original image. If your answer is No, then this image should be submitted in the "Altered Realism" category.
Assigned Subject (AS)
Subject: Subject as described during the year.
CATEGORY RULES: Any image submitted in the “assigned subject” category at an evaluation.
Altered Realism (AR)
Subject: Any subject.
CATEGORY RULES: Images where the photographer can use the full capabilities of photo editing software or the darkroom to enhance the image, while maintaining a realistic looking picture. Elements, such as clouds, plants, animals, people, buildings, etc., from one or more images may be combined into a single image.
Quick Check: Does the image look realistic? If so, then it meets the criteria of “Altered Realism.”
Creative or Digital Art (CD)
Subject: Any subject.
CATEGORY RULES: Images that display obvious "Altered Reality.” This category is designed to show the creativity of the photographer, as well as his or her digital editing skills or skills in the darkroom. Images in this category will be judged on their imagination, creativity, uniqueness, and editing skills.
Quick Check: Does the image look realistic? If not, then it meets the criteria of "Creative or Digital Art.”
Media Types and Submission Requirements
(Any image that is not properly categorized WILL NOT be accepted.)
Any digital image submitted must comply with the rules and regulations as defined in the Camera Club of Richmond’s Monthly Evaluation Rules and those listed below:
1. Images may not exceed 1,024 pixels on the longest side.
2. Do not include the photographer's name on the image.
4. Enter “EOY” in the subject line of your email.
5. The following naming convention should be used when submitting your entry by email:
Group (A or B) - Color or BW – Category Abbreviation– Title -Your name
(Include the dashes)
Scenic – S Nature – N Pictorial – PI
Portrait – PO Altered Realism – AR Creative -CD
Assigned Subject -AS
Any print submitted must comply with the rules and regulations as defined in the Camera Club of Richmond’s Monthly Evaluation Rules and provided below.
· Prints must be mounted on mat boards which may be proportional to the size of the prints.
· Framed prints are not allowed.
· Minimum print size is 5” x 7”.
· Maximum print size is 16” x 30”.
· Toning is permissible.
· Prints should be judged on a light box, according to PSA rules.
A completed copy of the entry form below should be attached to the upper-left corner of the back of the mat. The maker’s name must not appear on the front of the print entered. If the print is so marked, the Print Director will remove or mask the name before the print is eligible for evaluation.
Please use this link to access the Entry Form: Click here for Entry Form
Any slide submitted must comply with the rules and regulations as defined in the Camera Club of Richmond’s Monthly Evaluation Rules. These rules are provided below.
· All work except film processing must be that of the maker.
· Slides must be in 2 x 2 cardboard, glass or plastic mounts. Mounts will be marked with a dot, circle or X in the lower-left corner as viewed on the screen. The maker’s name and title of the slide must appear on the mount. Slides too thick for projection can’t be accepted.
· Slides may be masked in any manner the maker desires. Sandwiched slides and tinted slides are acceptable.
· A completed copy of the entry form below should be submitted with each slide.
2012 COMPETITION ENTRY FORM
Camera Club of Richmond
(Complete a separate form for each entry)
ENTRY NO: (assigned by Print or Slide Director)
Check one in each section:
⃝ Group A
⃝ Group B
⃝ Black and White
⃝ Assigned Subject
⃝ Altered Realism
⃝ Creative or Digital Art